Although we feel comfortable using electricity, don’t forget it can be dangerous. Over the last five years, there were over 50 presentations to the Perth Children’s Hospital Emergency Department for electrical injuries, many of which can be prevented. Common causes of electrical injury can include damaged or worn electrical cords, objects being inserted into power points, faulty appliances or light switches and contact between electrical appliances and water.
Kidsafe WA has teamed up with Horizon Power to promote electrical safety in regional communities across Western Australia. Below are some of the key messages from our friends at Horizon Power:
- Water and electricity do not mix, so make sure to keep electrical appliances dry.
- Install a residual current device – this is a safety switch to protect your family from electrocution.
- Use a licenced electrician when renovating or doing home maintenance.
- Check for any damaged or worn cords and replace them immediately.
- Ensure the trees or branches around your home do not touch powerlines, as these could cause fires or other serious accidents. Hire a professional if the trees or branches around your home need to be trimmed.
For more information on how to keep your children safe around electricity visit:
https://horizonpower.com.au/our-community/stay-safe-around-electricity/ OR www.kidsafewa.com.au/fact-sheets-at-home to see Kidsafe WA’s Electrical Safety Fact Sheet.